Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'm Done.

I've been a serious follower of Christ for years now. I do everything I can to stay on God's path for me and exemplify Jesus in everything I do. However, one area I have always seemed to get caught up on was this world itself.  I could never honestly say that I wouldn't be more than a little miffed if Jesus returned before I had a chance to see my kids off to college, or hold my grandchildren, or live in a house with my husband and no one else.....until Friday.



Friday broke me of my attachment to this life. I can now honestly say that I am ready for Jesus to return and put an end to this wasted world; and the sooner the better. As I lay curled up in a ball in the shower uncontrollably weeping for all that was lost I heard myself repeating "Come back. Please, come back." Even as I write this now I can feel the tears returning as they have every day since this hold was broken. How much worse does it have to get? How many could there possibly be left who have not heard of Jesus? What else are we going to have to bear witness to or, God forbid, endure ourselves?

I am not the same soul I was before Friday. I've turned from one who almost never cries to someone who tears up nearly every hour. I'm reminded of how horrific this world, this society, this human race is in everyday things. All my thought is bent on it and, as terrible as that sounds, I think it's a good thing.

Apathy, ignorance, disregard, that's what makes this place the horror show it is. All those are softer words for evil; and evil is very much alive and well as I'm sure everyone would agree. It is evil that this global society shoves the lesser members off to the side and tries to ignore their needs and their very existence. It is evil when the product of that disregard turns into tragedy. And it is evil when we do nothing about it.

I don't have all the answers and I don't know how to fix what's fundamentally wrong; but I do know someone does. I do know that if we ALL work together we can dramatically reduce events like these. I also know that if we don't, it's only going to get worse. And, quite honestly, looking at our human track record, I expect it to. (Check this out.)

In the meantime, I'm going to do everything I can to make a difference before my time is up, and I don't mean just smiling at people in the grocery store. That's a cop out. Sure, we should do it but if that's all you do, you're not doing enough. We have the chance to be a real change in this sorry place, even if we can't fix it all. I'm the chief of sinners and if I can make some kind of difference, so can you. If you are a follower of Christ, then you are commanded to; through love of people and love of true justice. That's what He taught us while He was here, and it's what He'll hold us accountable to when we go to meet Him or He comes back to meet us, whichever comes first. I pray it's the latter.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” 
― Margaret Mead

2 comments:

  1. I love the candidness of this post. I love the message, and I love you lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maura. I love you, too! I've been praying that the Lord would break my heart for the things that break His, and it seems that prayer has been answered! <3

      Delete

I want to hear from you!

If what you read made you think, let me know! I'd love to engage with you. Comments and likes onFacebook, Instagram, Twitter, and these blog posts help me out. We're all in this together!