Monday, October 1, 2012

The Priestly Blessing Breakdown

I was reading this morning and the study Bible (NIV) I use broke down the Priestly Blessing (Num. 6:24-26) and made me think about it as I never had before. I thought I would share it so here it is!

"Five parts conveyed hope that God would (1) bless and keep them (favor and protect); (2) make his face shine upon them (be pleased); (3) be gracious (merciful and compassionate); (4) turn his face toward them (give his approval); (5) give peace."

I can't even attempt to remember how many times I have heard this blessing. I grew up going (sporadically) to several Lutheran churches and watching Robert Schuller and the Crystal Cathedral on TV so, if you are familiar with either of those 2 things, you know what I'm talking about! 

Seeing this familiar blessing broken down in this simple manner has shined new light on it for me and, therefore, a deeper meaning. I hope this does the same for anyone else who reads it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you!

If what you read made you think, let me know! I'd love to engage with you. Comments and likes onFacebook, Instagram, Twitter, and these blog posts help me out. We're all in this together!