Sunday, February 10, 2013

T-5 Days to Take Off! (An Open Letter to My Support Team)

Bonjou!

It’s almost take off time for Haiti and I couldn’t be more excited! Thank you so much for your support of me in this endeavor.

Today we had our final meeting before we leave early Saturday morning. We packed all the “team luggage” full of donations, supplies, and things we will need that would not fit in our carry on bags. It was quite a task to load, weigh, reload, label, and itemize the contents of each bag to make sure they stayed under the required weight limit by the airline, but we did it!




Laura, Kelly, and I stayed after the meeting to edit the two children’s skits we’ll be performing in various locations. We choose the Parable of the Lost Sheep and The Good Samaritan as our subject matter and wrote them in a way that would be easily translatable. It should be quite a show with myself dressed as a sheep and my team member, Craig, dressed as a donkey! We also purchased paddle ball games for each child that they can color that have the messages “Jezi renmen mwen” (Jesus loves me), and “Suri! Jezi renmen ou!” (Smile, Jesus loves you!) written on each one. Our hope is that they will think of Jesus’ stories each time they play with it.


Sheep "extras" for the skit

This week I will be busy with final preparations for trip, preparations for my family’s meals while I am away, and trying to learn as much French Creole as I can! I have been praying for you as I plan and pack and I can not express how much I appreciate your prayers as well. The enemy is well aware of our intentions and he’s been taking it out on us (the team and our families) in his typical, frustrated brat fashion. The good news is that we have the God of angel armies on our side; whom shall we fear?! God has been faithful at every turn and it has been such a blessing to see Him work everything together as we go.


Some prayer requests I have before I leave are as follows:



  • Safe travels to Haiti, from the airport to Mission of Hope’s compound, and home again.
  • Easy passage through airport security and through customs (we have 4 flights total this trip!)  .
  • God’s protection over the team and our families we’re leaving at home, and against any plans the enemy has for us or our families.
  • God to prepare our hearts, the hearts of the team at MOH, and the hearts of the people in the villages we visit, to be soft to His truth, and to each other.
  • God to blast through all barriers with His truth and love so that all of those we encounter will be forever changed by His grace, including ourselves.

I welcome your prayer requests as well! We have time carved out to pray each day so if there is something specific you would like prayer for, please make sure I know!

Again, thank you so much for supporting me in this trip. I have been immeasurably blessed by your generosity. May God bless you richly in return.

Orevwa pou kounye a zanmi m’! (Goodbye for now, my friend!)

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you!

If what you read made you think, let me know! I'd love to engage with you. Comments and likes onFacebook, Instagram, Twitter, and these blog posts help me out. We're all in this together!